Bunions are caused when the bone connected to the big toe isn’t supported because of the way the foot is structured, such as low arches. Bunions are a small bump that is located at the base of the big toe and if you’ve ever struggled with bunions, you know that they can be painful to live with. Dr. Keith Kalish in Vero Beach, FL, can help reduce any pain that you may feel from having bunions and can help you regain total foot health.
How to Care for Bunions
If you struggle with bunions, you may feel your bunions throb or ache after a long day and you may avoid certain activities because of them. If you constantly feel pain from your bunions, there are some forms of both home and in-office treatment that your podiatrist in Vero Beach, FL, may recommend for you.
Some examples of treatments you can do at home and lifestyle changes you should make are:
- Avoiding wearing high-heeled shoes.
- Massaging the area a few times a day, especially after wearing shoes.
- Icing the bunion 2-3 times a day.
- Losing weight to avoid excess weight being placed on the feet.
- Soaking your feet in warm water.
- Avoid activities that may cause a flare-up with your symptoms.
- Exercises and stretches to strengthen your feet.
In addition to recommending some lifestyle changes, your podiatrist may recommend some in-office or custom-made treatments as well. Some of these include:
- Custom fitting orthotics.
- Splints from your doctor to wear while sleeping.
If pain persists, foot surgery may be the next option. A bunionectomy may be suggested to remove the bunion and relieve some of the stress placed on your feet.
Contact Your Podiatrist Today!
If you deal with persistent pain from bunions, it may be time to contact Dr. Keith Kalish in Vero Beach, FL. Call (772) 567-0111 today to schedule an appointment and help reduce the pain you feel from your bunions.